Nationwide Group Responsible Lending Statement
Nationwide is committed to being a responsible lender who acts in the best interests of its customers. This means we have a responsibility to our customers to be open and honest, and to treat them fairly. These commitments underpin everything we do and the way we lend money is no exception.
Our Responsible Lending customer commitments are described below. These explain what you can expect from Nationwide when you apply for a mortgage with us or when you request a variation to an existing mortgage.
To find out how we use personal information, read carefully ‘How Nationwide uses your information’.
If you’ve got any questions, you can get in touch and we’ll be happy to help.
What you can expect from us as a responsible lender when applying for a mortgage
- Products designed to meet your needs which we'll promote in a balanced way. Show the risks as well as the benefits.
- Clear information on the cost of borrowing, any fees and charges that apply and our terms and conditions.
- A robust assessment of your ability to make regular payments and to repay the loan, based on your current circumstances and allowing for any known or foreseeable changes.
- The use of credit scoring for all new lending to ensure a fair and consistent approach to deciding whether we will lend. Underpinned by an underwriter assessment if appropriate.
- Under strict controls we may share data with other lenders to improve the quality of our decisions, to reduce the risk of customers becoming over-committed and to prevent financial crime.
- Personal information is treated confidentially and in accordance with Data Protection legislation. If you want to find out more, please visit ‘How Nationwide use your information’.
- Reasonable notice of interest rate and payment changes affecting you.
- Prompt and professional handling of any queries or complaints you may have.
- Considerate treatment in the event of financial difficulties or arrears.
In return, we expect that our customers:
- Provide accurate and complete information on their application. Referencing any information that may impact our assessment of affordability.
- Regularly assess their borrowing and other financial commitments. Contact us as soon as possible if they're experiencing, or expect to experience any financial difficulties.
- Read and understand the terms and conditions on which the money is borrowed, seeking further information and help if needed.
- Ensure they're comfortable with the level of borrowing requested (up to the maximum we'll lend based on our own assessment).
- Ensure they have the means to repay the loan at the end of the agreed term if any borrowing is on an interest only basis.