Bereavement support

This page explains how to let us know when someone has died, what happens to the mortgage, and what to do when someone dies with links to support services.


Solicitors acting for one of our customers should read our information for solicitors.

Tell us about a bereavement

Please contact us to talk to someone who can help you through the steps you need to take.

Contact us

What happens to the mortgage

Joint accounts

If the mortgage was held as a joint account, where both mortgage holders are deceased, the mortgage will need to be repaid in full, usually within 12 months of the death.

If the property is held as joint tenants, it will be transferred into the remaining account holder’s name.

If the property is held as tenants in common, please speak to your solicitor to find out the next steps.

The other mortgage account holder remains responsible for making the mortgage payments.

Sole accounts

As soon as you inform us of the death, we won’t collect mortgage payments for 12 months. This means you won't have to make payments for that time. Please bear in mind that interest will continue to be charged.

You can choose to continue to make mortgage payments, check our payments page for instructions on how to do this.

The mortgage will need to be redeemed, usually within 12 months of the death.

What to do when someone dies

See the Government’s guide for the latest information on what to do when someone dies (opens in a new window), including how to register the death and get copies of the death certificate.

Once you’ve registered the death, you’ll be given:

  • a death certificate, and
  • a certificate for burial or cremation.

It’s a good idea to ask for extra copies of the death certificate, as many organisations may need to see an original version (there may be a fee for this).

To let providers know at the same time use the:

Death Notification Service (opens in a new window)

The providers will contact you to let you know the next steps with them.

Who can deal with the estate

A person’s estate includes everything they own or that is registered in their name, including: money (cash, bank or building society accounts), property, insurance policies, stocks and shares.

After someone dies, their estate is shared out according to their will or given to their next of kin if no will was left.

The personal representative

You may need to apply to be the personal representative and deal with the estate. This is called applying for probate.

Applying for probate - GOV.UK

Tasks of the personal representative can include:

  • Collecting all the assets of the estate.
  • Dealing with any paperwork.
  • Settling any debts, taxes, funeral and administration costs.
  • Appointing a solicitor.
  • Applying for probate where needed.

You can hire a professional to help with some or all of the tasks of dealing with an estate.

When and how to use a solicitor or probate specialist - Money Helper

Other support services

Cruse Bereavement Care

Help with understanding and coping with grief following the death of someone close.

Cruse Bereavement Care (opens in a new window)

The Samaritans

A completely confidential service offering support for any type of emotional distress.

The Samaritans (opens in a new window)

Age UK

Free help and advice from the UK’s largest charity dedicated to helping people make the most of later life.

Age UK (opens in a new window)

Widowed and Young

Support group for young widowed men and women across the UK, married or not, with children or without.

Widowed and Young (opens in a new window)